We, at the World Vegan Travel team have a love / hate relationship with travel insurance. We have so far (touch wood) never needed to make a claim for any trip that we have taken. This sometimes feels like a waste of time and certainly a waste of money, yet we still do it.
Every time we take a trip, we make sure that we have insurance to cover us completely. We also make it a requirement to travel on our vegan trips with us and we even include a whole section on this on our free vegan trip planning guide. So why bother with this?
Theft of belongings or damage
Things to think about when buying travel insurance
Credit card insurance
Include emergency evacuation
Buy as soon as possible
What is their per item limit?
When are you travelling?
Where are you travelling?
What activities will you do?
Renting a car?
- Print out and review your policy and have a copy online so you can access it.
- Take a note of the emergency contact number and share it with people in your party. Have it somewhere handy.
- Take photos of your belongings all ready to be packed so that you can know what you are taking and prove to the insurance company in case your luggage is stolen.
- Log in to any online account that your insurance company provides and get familiar.
- Make sure you don’t miss the flight – Insurance companies generally don’t cover you for getting confused with the departure date.
- Report theft immediately to the local police station and get a police report. You will need this if claiming for theft.
- Call the emergency contact number if you go for medical treatment – They will then liaise with the medical providers and authorise any treatment. If you do not get authorisation, you might find that they will not pay.
- If you are going on an extended trip and perhaps make changes to your itinerary.
- Travellers on an extended trip who are spontaneous in their travel decisions might forget about where and what they are covered for. If you decide to do that everest base camp hike with some new best friends, then make sure you are covered.
We recommend World Nomads for our travelers. It covers for all the activities we include and you can even buy it after your departure. Saying that, you should always check that it meets your personal needs.
- You can buy your insurance while you are travelling (in case you forgot to get it before)
- Most people are covered (although the price depends on where you are resident)
- They are well-established and have a good reputation online. They are recommended by many international brands.
- You can make claims online.
- Covers tech gear.
- Reasonably priced
- They have two different plans to suit different budgets.
- Very transparent and easy to navigate.
- You can extend your policy if you want to.
You can see how much a quote would with World Nomads right here!
Have you ever been saved from a huge loss by making a claim on your travel insurance policy? Tell us in the comments?